Saturday, August 6, 2011

I Heart Endorphins.


Endorphins are part of the chemicals that are supposedly released in your body during/after exercise.  Some people seem to be more reactive than others to this phenomenon, also known as a runner's high.

I am one of those people that totally reacts to them, in a good way.  The last couple of times I've gone to the gym, on the days I've planned to, it went something like this:  I want to fall into my usual bad habits of resting and relaxing instead of working out, but I talk myself into going, since I had planned to and I am paying for it anyway and I need to stick to it this time, and because I know in the short time I've been going it is already making me feel better/have more energy.  On the way to the gym I am grumbly, growly, and crabby.

Once there, however, I've been hopping on the treadmill, prepared to trudge through an obligatory workout, and lo and behold, halfway through I start to feel better.  And then after I start to feel better, I start to crack a smile, and then it gets bigger.  And then, soon enough, I'm feeling fabulous, and I am able to do a little bit better of a workout than I had expected to.  Walking has turned into walking faster and now sprinkled with progressively longer jogging intervals.  I've been leaving the gym with tired legs, a grin on my face, a renewed sense of "I can do this," along with more energy than I arrived with, and a much better attitude.  I love it.

No comments: