Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Nifty Diet Tool for the Occasional Golden Arches Visit

I've always had a very soft spot for McDonald's. Of all the brands of fast food it is my favorite, and I believe I have been in one in almost every foreign country I've ever been to. Now, most people would NOT be proud of that, but as someone with a lot of food allergies, it is sooo helpful if you are somewhere else in the world where it's tough to communicate and/or figure out what in local food, and to be able to get a meal you are confident in.

Now, for the healthy minded, McD's has really only started offering healthier options since the brilliant movie "Supersize Me" threw them under the bus. Clearly the health status of some of their choices is quite poor, and although I thought he took it too far to make his point, I thought it was a brilliant and very entertaining/educational movie.

For a long time, McDonald's has offered some limited nutritional information and ingredients listings, but I recently checked back online and it has gotten a lot more sophisticated. In addition to the down-to-every-possible detail ingredients list, they now have a tool where you can choose your items, put them in your "bag", and it'll give you the tally of your calories, fat, etc. Not for the faint of heart if you love a large Big Mac meal, probably, but I was impressed, because if you don't like what you see, you can take some things out and replace them with other things until it looks a little better. The best part? As an allergy person I do not eat the bread on my cheeseburgers, and I always assumed that was only a few calories saved. With this tool, you can "take apart" the sandwiches and see what they would be without the sauce, without cheese, or in my case, without the bread. (And I was happy to find out that the bread I wasn't eating WAS a lot of calories after all!)

Now, the HEALTHIEST meal I should be eating is a 4-piece nugget happy meal with apple dippers and a diet lemonade. But I already knew that. :)

No comments: