Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Early Way is the Only Way- So How Can I Find my Way?

I have come to the conclusion that the single, most important way for me to fit in enough workouts to improve my fitness, shape my body, and reach my goals is going to be by WAKING UP EARLY to do them. I need to be in the shower by 6:00, and wake up the boy at 6:30, and be done getting ready and have us ready to roll out the door at 7:00 sharp, in order to be on time to work/school. This is absolutely an epic struggle for me on a daily basis. But, here's the thing- for the first couple of years or more, the boy used to wake up a lot earlier than he does now. It used to feel early, but it was perfectly doable when you were used to it. (It pains me terribly that he is now inclined to sleep later but schedule necessitates keeping it earlier!) In addition, prior to existence of the boy, I went through a long phase of working out early before work. Ok, it was here and there, and it was a big struggle, but I did it fairly often. And I took an early boot camp class once and I hated getting up but I did it.

I firmly believe from past experience that weight loss is a daily challenge and decision to be made, and I think the way to best ensure that each day starts out in a weight loss frame of mind ready to make the right decisions is by doing a strenuous workout FIRST. (I know, broken record alert!) Working out first means that the time is carved out before other things can get in the way, it gives you energy for the rest of the day, it revs up your metabolism for a good portion of the day, and it lets you work out while your body and mind are still fresh, before the rest of your day beats you down. HAHAHA, I say, my mind and body are beat-ass tired that early in the morning to begin with! But wait- they wouldn't be if I was getting more sleep, now would they?! I think another important thing it would help with is my propensity to stay up unreasonably late, because I will be too damn tired to do so if I had been up since 5:00 am. If you read anything about weight loss it always says you can't do it if you don't get enough sleep. I can personally attest that I use food, particularly sugary food, as a crutch when I'm tired. Maybe if I used caffeine instead and drank myself energetic on diet coke or something (not coffee 'cause I'm one of those teeny percent of the population that thinks coffee tastes vile) I'd have less of a problem. But unfortunately (or fortunately, from a health perspective) I hate caffeine. Hate it, hate it, hate it. I'm pretty sure I took it a little too far in college (I lived and died by Mountain Dew), burned out on it completely, and now I feel like even a teeny tiny bit of it makes me jittery and anxious, so I've been off it for like 15 years now.

Anyway, I think it's the only way. The question remains, when to suck it up and start?

No comments: